North Korea carried out another missile launch toward the sea on Wednesday, according to South Korean and Japanese officials. The reported test comes less than a week after another weapons launch and ahead of annual military exercises involving South Korea and the United States.
The latest launch is likely to increase tensions on the Korean Peninsula as Seoul and Washington prepare for their joint drills.
North Korea Missile Launch Detected Near Wonsan
South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff said it detected the launch at around 6 a.m. from the Wonsan area on North Korea’s eastern coast.
The projectile travelled toward waters off North Korea’s eastern coast, prompting South Korean forces to strengthen surveillance operations.
Seoul also continued sharing information with the United States and Japan as officials assessed the launch.
Japan’s Defence Ministry separately detected what it described as a suspected ballistic missile.
Japanese authorities said the projectile did not enter Japan’s exclusive economic zone, indicating that it landed outside those waters.
Missile Test Comes Ahead of Military Exercises
The North Korea missile launch occurred shortly before the annual Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises involving South Korean and US forces.
The drills are scheduled to begin on 17 August and last 11 days, with approximately 18,000 South Korean troops expected to participate.
Washington and Seoul describe the exercises as defensive training designed to strengthen their ability to respond to potential threats.
North Korea, however, has repeatedly condemned the exercises as preparations for an invasion.
Pyongyang has frequently responded to major US-South Korea military drills with missile tests and warnings.
North Korea Continues Weapons Testing
The latest launch follows another reported weapons test on 6 August.
South Korean, US and Japanese authorities detected a short-range ballistic missile during that incident. It was reportedly North Korea’s first ballistic missile test since late June.
North Korean authorities did not immediately confirm the earlier launch.
The repeated weapons tests demonstrate that Pyongyang continues to develop and test its missile capabilities despite ongoing international pressure.
Tensions Remain High on Korean Peninsula
Relations between North Korea and the United States have remained strained since diplomatic negotiations between Kim Jong Un and US President Donald Trump broke down in 2019.
Those talks failed to resolve major disagreements over North Korea’s nuclear programme and international sanctions.
Since then, Pyongyang has continued expanding its missile and nuclear capabilities while strongly criticising US military cooperation with South Korea and Japan.
Washington, Seoul and Tokyo Monitor Developments
The latest North Korea missile launch will likely receive close attention from Washington, Seoul and Tokyo as the three countries coordinate their responses.
With the US-South Korea military exercises approaching, officials are preparing for the possibility of further weapons tests or additional statements from Pyongyang.
The situation remains fluid, and regional authorities continue monitoring North Korea’s military activity closely.