Somali pirates have hijacked an oil products tanker off Yemen, marking the latest attack in a renewed wave of piracy across the Gulf of Aden and western Indian Ocean.
A Somali maritime security official said six armed pirates seized the Eritrean-flagged M.T. Sibu 1 on Thursday. The tanker was sailing about 136 nautical miles (252 kilometers) east of al-Mukalla when the attackers took control.
Somali Pirates Seize Tanker Near Yemen
The attackers reportedly moved the Sibu 1 toward Somalia’s Puntland coast after taking control of the vessel. The maritime official provided the information on condition of anonymity.
The tanker had 20 crew members on board. They included 16 Indians, one Syrian, one Sudanese and one Iraqi. Authorities had not immediately confirmed the nationality of another crew member.
The vessel’s previous port and planned destination remain unclear. Qatrat Alnada Almasi Ship Management, a UAE-based company, manages the tanker.
Tanker Linked to US Sanctions
The Sibu 1 has also faced scrutiny from U.S. authorities. The U.S. Treasury Department sanctioned the vessel last year.
Officials alleged that the tanker belonged to an Iranian “shadow fleet” involved in transporting petroleum products while attempting to evade U.S. sanctions.
However, the circumstances surrounding the latest hijacking remain under investigation.
Somali Pirates Seize Sixth Commercial Vessel
The latest attack came just three days after pirates seized the Cameroon-flagged Lutuf off Somalia’s coast.
The cargo vessel carried 10 crew members. Six were Indian nationals. The remaining crew included a Turkish national, a Georgian national and two Serbian security guards.
The Sibu 1 is now the sixth commercial vessel seized by Somali pirates since April 21. Earlier incidents involved the Honor 25, Sward, Eureka, Asana and Lutuf.
Piracy Threat Spreads Across the Region
Recent attacks have occurred farther from Somalia’s coastline. Pirates seized the Eureka while it was anchored off Yemen. They also captured the Asana about 65 nautical miles (120 kilometers) southwest of al-Mukalla.
The International Maritime Bureau recorded 38 piracy and armed robbery incidents worldwide during the first half of 2026. Five of those cases involved hijackings.
The bureau said Somali pirates accounted for 94% of crew members taken hostage during that period.
Puntland Raises Security Concerns
Puntland’s Security Ministry said its investigation pointed to forces outside its control as being behind the renewed piracy. However, officials did not identify any specific group or country.
The claim could not be independently verified.
Meanwhile, Puntland said it had deployed security forces along its coastline. The ministry also condemned airstrikes that it said struck fishing vessels and property near coastal communities.
Puntland called for explanations over strikes near Garacad on August 18 and August 20. However, the ministry did not identify who carried out the attacks.
The latest incident highlights the renewed Somali pirates threat to commercial shipping around Somalia, Yemen and the wider Indian Ocean.