Prince Harry Ordered to Pay $13 Million in Privacy Case

Prince Harry ordered to pay $13 million after losing privacy case in UK High Court

Prince Harry and six other claimants must pay an initial £9.5 million ($13 million) to Associated Newspapers after losing their invasion of privacy case against the publisher of the Daily Mail.

Justice Matthew Nicklin ordered the payment by August 28. The judge also left open the possibility of a much larger legal bill, with the claimants potentially facing another £25 million in costs.

Prince Harry Privacy Case Ends With Major Costs

The claimants brought the case against Associated Newspapers in London’s High Court. They accused the publisher of using unlawful methods, including phone hacking and private investigators, to obtain information about their lives.

However, the claimants failed to win any of the 97 claims presented during the case.

In his judgment, Justice Nicklin criticized several aspects of the case. He described some allegations as speculative and said the claimants continued to pursue serious claims after they could no longer support them with sufficient evidence.

The judge described their conduct as unreasonable to a high degree.

Harry and Other Claimants Face More Legal Costs

Associated Newspapers said it spent more than £34 million defending the case. The publisher could seek to recover much of the remaining amount if it receives the required legal approval.

That could leave Harry and the other claimants facing another £25 million or so.

The final amount could take time to determine. Costs judges may eventually assess the parties’ arguments and decide how much the publisher can recover.

David Bailey-Vella, chairman of the Association of Costs Lawyers, said the outcome represented a serious setback for the claimants.

Simon Hughes, one of the claimants, said he felt disappointed and surprised that the judge did not limit the publisher’s recoverable costs.

Harry’s Long Battle With British Tabloids

The case marks another setback for Harry in his long-running campaign against Britain’s tabloid press.

Harry previously won a case against the publisher of the Daily Mirror. In 2023, a judge found evidence of widespread and habitual phone hacking.

Last year, The Sun also apologized to Harry for intruding on his private life and agreed to settle his lawsuit.

The latest Prince Harry privacy case therefore closes another major chapter in his legal fight with the British media.

Harry and the other claimants have until October 2 to decide whether they will appeal the latest ruling.

Must Read

Related News